Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Bald Men on Baldy

Alright just got up from a nice nap.

The route: http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/CA/Los%20Angeles/505124925978311662

This is the 3rd epic Sunday in a row. Four of us met at the Pasadena Starbucks at 5;30. Geraldo, Michael, Gary and Bruce. We drove over to, Gil's had some coffee, watered the horses and took off.

The 3mi ride from Gils to the base of GMR early in the morning is always a pleasant warm up. We started the climb about 6;45 The top of the mountains were still shrouded in mist as the sun was coming up from behind.

The climb starts out gradually and we stayed together for awhile. I was intentionally starting out slowly, so I wouldn't blowup like I did on Kanan road last Sunday. I felt good and got into a comfortable rhythm and started dropping people. Lucky the Kens weren't there. After a slow grind up the hill I was stoked that I made it to the top gate without having to get off the bike. I waited at the usual spot until Michael and Geraldo joined me. They stayed to wait for Gil. I took off for the next 10 mi of climbing on my own.

A lot of young kids were blowing by me and I kept looking over my shoulder for Michael. I know he can take my on climbs like this. What i didn't know is that they were being attacked by coyotes and Indians from the way they tell it.

About half way up I stopped to fuel and drink. The weather was still perfect for climbing. I was spurred on by the crowds by the side of the road and the commentary by Phil and Paul. After more grinding I made it to the top and waited. Michael showed up soon and we waited for a bit then rode down to the lodge in Baldy Village. What a relief to sit down and have a bunch of ice water. Geraldo made it and we had a nice light breakfast.

We got worried about Gil and Gary so we took off back down the mountain. It was starting to heat up which made the few climbs uncomfortable. 20 miles downhill is a long way and the crouch rockets carving the canyons were really annoying, but we all made it down safely.

Back at Gil's house we found out that they had come so close to making it to the top, before turning around. They had some issues with water and the heat. gary had to go down and get Gils car and come back up to pick him up Good job Gary.

Gil gets the climbing award for making it as far as he did on a mountain bike.

I suggest next week we do a group ride were we actually ride in a group.

Till Then

1 comment:

  1. Bruce, I climbed hard but could not catch up to you. Your legs were strong today.

    That was a tough climb, especially since the majority of the ascent occured in the first 1/2 of the ride.

    I look forward to hear ideas for next week's ride.

    ReplyDelete